“do you want to go away as well?” Simon peter answered him, “lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed and have come to know, that you are the holy one of god.” - john 6:67-69
It is important to know in the verse right before this one, Jesus is teaching on eternal life and when he states only those who ‘come to me’ will see the Father many ‘turned back and no longer walked with him’ (v.65-66). I find the omniscience of Christ something amazing because he knows he is going to say something that will cause them to flee. Does He give it a second thought, ‘should I say this or not?’ or instead does Hhe go the other way and lean into it and say, ‘let’s see who this goes over!’
If I was about to say something that is highly controversial I know I would double guess myself or not even say it at all. I believe most of us are the same, am I right? So, knowing this Christ goes ahead and speaks his bold mind and causes many to flee. It causes me to ask this question, Do we allow our students, the chance to disagree and be put in a position to flee?
I want to be very careful here because, I 100% believe, He had to challenge them to flee before His ascension to heaven for His disciples to truly follow when He left. Part of Jesus’ legacy for the disciples to carry on was free choice to follow Christ. They needed to know they had the ability to walk away so they communicated that to others. What this means is Jesus knew they would not scatter when He was called up to heaven because He already gave them that chance.
- Do you allow your student to flee from a challenge?
- Do you give your student the ability to walk away for them to know their commitment level?
- Do you know if your student won’t turn away from jesus when they are older, because you give them a chance to do that when they are in your house?
- Does that chance scare you?
- Is this part of equipping them to follow him?
I send this out to challenge you because I want your student to know Christ, but part of training them up in the Lord is giving them the ability to make their faith their own. I am a parent that will need to do this with my children too and I am not looking forward to the day, but I know I need to, so please if you find success… tell me how!
This is part two of a newsletter series ‘equip the saints’
Thank you for letting me minister to your students and alongside them in reaching their friends, our community and the world for his glory.
- We have started our fundraising and preparations for our mission trip to Haiti to work alongside Dan and Holly Ravenhorst (missionaries of our church). We will be selling Kwik Trip gift cards and Kwik Trip car wash cards to make money for the trip, please support our trip by picking one up.
- Every WNL we take an offering for Moumita our sponsor child in Kolkata, India. Check out what Global Fingerprints to know more.
DISTRICTS SIGNUP: This Wednesday is the last night to signup. Cost is $95.
Video link: http://www.districtblitz.org/
NEXT DINNER NIGHT (April 11)
Dinner starts at 6pm, WNL starts at 6:33pm
DEATH BY SALSA NIGHT (April 11)
It is a fun competition that is completely voluntary and hilarious to watch
WNL (the next weeks)
- The 12 series - Prayer
- The 12 series - 7X70 plus Senior Snapshots
- The 12 series - Plentiful plus Senior Snapshots